The top 12 chemicals you need to avoid
If you’ve been reading my blog for a while, you know that I frequently talk about detoxification. My Four-Week Detox program is a core of the work that I do because it was a fundamental part of my own healing journey; and being on my 8th year of facilitating detox programs, I see how fundamental it can be for everyone’s healing.
A question I often get is this: “is a detox really necessary? Isn’t this just another new fad? Everyone talks about doing a “detox” or doing a “cleanse.”
Sadly yes, it is a relatively new thing. Our grandparents likely never even heard the word; and our parents probably associate it with drug rehab.
So why do we ALL need to detox?
Today I share a short list of 12 highly toxic chemicals that we find in our everyday life. They are known to have one or more of these effects: cause cancer, cause hormone disruption, cause infertility, cause brain and nervous system problems, linked to obesity and diabetes, cause asthma, and the list goes on and on…
In addition to the chemicals that we DO know are toxic. There are thousands of chemicals that are introduced into the food supply, personal care items and household goods that are never tested for toxicity or for their long-term effects.
Here’s the list of known toxins and their use. I’m also providing a webpage for each that directs you to the Environmental Working Group’s website, where they list all sorts of research and articles on each of these chemicals.
As you read these, please note that these chemicals (with the exception of the first two) have ALL been found in the umbilical cords of newborn babies!
- Fluoride in municipal water: http://www.ewg.org/search/site/fluoride
- Chloramine in municipal water: http://www.ewg.org/search/site/chloramine
- Hard plastics (BPA) in baby bottles, “Nalgene” water bottles, coating inside food cans, etc.: http://www.ewg.org/search/site/bpa
- Rocket fuel (perchlorate) in produce: http://www.ewg.org/search/site/perchlorate
- Teflon (PFCs) from cookware: http://www.ewg.org/search/site/teflon
- Mercury in seafood, dental fillings, etc.: http://www.ewg.org/search/site/mercury
- Lead in seafood, lead paint, old pipes, etc.: http://www.ewg.org/search/site/lead
- Fire retardants in furniture, mattresses, baby clothes, computers, carpeting, etc. (polybrominated diphenyl ethers – PBDEs):
- Wood treatments in construction material, hard wood floors, etc. (polychlorinated naphthalines – PCNs):
- PCBs (banned since 1976 still persist in the food chain): http://www.ewg.org/search/site/pcbs
- PVC – plastics and plasticizers in pipes, shower curtains, rain ponchos, toys, vinyl siding, vinyl floors, etc.: http://www.ewg.org/search/site/pvc
- Synthetic fragrances in personal care products, perfumes, lotions, etc: http://www.ewg.org/search/site/fragrance
So there we have it. It’s the hard reality of how our “modern” life has created “modern” health problems.
Your grandmother never had to do a detox because her liver did a find job of keeping up with the task at hand. Our livers have FAR more to deal with than our ancestors’ did. That’s why I’m passionate about helping people get started with detoxification.
If you’re curious about the next program, we get started on March 28th! Check out the program to see if this is right for you now.
Love your liver! Help it help you.